DBE MIDWESTERN DISTRICT
The British Home, dba Cantata
The Daughters of the British Empire and other charitable organizations foundedThe British Home in 1920
Samuel Insull donated 10 acres in 1922
Mrs. Julie Cooke Adams laid the foundation stone in 1924
Grand Opening 1925
The British Home celebrated its grand opening with 24 original residents. In the early days, many employees also lived on campus. Employees and residents worked together to plant a vegetable garden and tend a chicken coop. Much of the fruit, vegetables and eggs were then used by employees in preparing meals for residents.
Today, Cantata offers a variety of services, but The British Home - now with approximately 136 residents - remains at the center.